15 May 2011

a little bit of beauty...


I've been away so long.  It's so embarrassing to come back after such a long absence and try to come up with a plausible reason.  The only explanation I can offer is that I felt like I was in sort of a creative "funk".  I felt like nothing I created or worked on was worthy of merit or worth sharing here.  I know that's not the right way to feel, but I did.  I think I'm "over it" now, and hope I won't ever let that happen to me again.

So, as my apology, I thought I'd like to share a little bit of beauty from my fledgling garden here at the new house. 



I'm most excited about the peonies.  I've always wanted peonies and never had them at the old house.  I think they're so beautiful and so fragrant.  They're like roses on steroids!



In the early days of spring, we were sooo blessed to have a Bluebird couple come to make their new home under the rafters of our deck.   Mrs. Bluebird would work on building the nest and Mr. Bluebird would "stand guard" on the handrail of our deck, keeping an eye out for danger.  We felt privileged to hear his beautiful song as she constructed their new home.

Unfortunately, despite our best efforts to be quiet and respectful of their shy and timid ways, a group of House Sparrows did not feel the same.  They harassed the poor Bluebird couple, finally resorting to destroying their nest and throwing it down off the deck support post.  

  Fortunately, poor Mrs. Bluebird hadn't even had a chance to lay her eggs yet, so there weren't any babies or eggs destroyed.  But the poor couple decided they needed to find a less hostile place  to start their brood.  We were so sorry to see them go.  And we really missed their beautiful song.  We know how rare and precious it is to see these quiet little birds up close. 





I've even planted a couple of trees, but I don't have pictures of those yet.  We're still getting a little more rain than we'd like, so I'll try to share those next time. 

It's nice to be back in blog land.  I sure have missed being here. 

blessings and happiness,
Athena



No comments:

Post a Comment